Wednesday, November 7, 2007

New Year's Resolutions In November?

Although the ball doesn't drop in Times Square for another two months, I find myself reading New's Years fitness resolution articles daily.

About six weeks ago, I had shoulder surgery. On Sept. 20, I went from running a few miles every day to none. I finally got the ok from my physical therapist about two weeks ago to do cardio on the elliptical trainer after I showed off my obscene strength with the dog bone weights. But now that I've got the ok to workout again, I'm lost. I know I'm not able to do what I used to do right away, but I'm also frustrated because I can't do what I used to do right away.

A Resolution Health article recently ease my worries. "Easing Back Into Your Fitness Routine" recommends the 1-1 rule. If you've been out three weeks, then it'll take three weeks to get back to where you were. So for me, it's going to take six weeks (hopefully). In addition, the 50-50 rule applies. Do 50 percent of your standard activity before you were out 50 percent of the time. For me, I used to run for about 45 minutes a day. So now I should do 22.5 minutes (but I haven't gotten the ok to run yet so I'll just apply that to the elliptical).

Using the information from this article, I'm going to try to get back on track and slowly move up to where I was.

When the ball drops on New Year's, I should be wearing my skinny jeans again ;)

No comments: