Knee-high, white pleather boots, a psychedelic mini-dress, huge, white hoop earrings and a head of teased blonde hair will transform me into a 60s Go-Go Girl for Halloween this year. I look forward to dressing up, going to the parties and the CANDY and TREATS every year.
But this year, I don't want to fall into the Halloween traps that kill my diet. So I went on the hunt for healthy alternatives to festive snacks. Although they're probably not as tasty as the candy corn, Snickers, Twix and Butterfingers (and all of the other types of yummy, chocolate candy), I know eating healthy this Halloween will help me in the long run. One fun size Butterfinger packs 100 calories, 4 grams of fat, 2 grams of saturated fat, 50 milligrams of sodium and 15 grams of carbs - and who can really eat just one?
Here are my festive treats!
Spooky sandwiches
- Peanut butter and jelly can be a healthy stand by.
- Use whole grain wheat bread, reduced-fat peanut butter and sugar-free jelly (I love Smucker's Strawberry Preserves with Splenda)
- Once you've made your standard sandwich with a healthy kick, use Halloween shaped cookie-cutters to make the sandwich into festive shapes.
- You can also use the same method with grilled cheese. Just make sure to use reduced-fat cheese, whole wheat bread and cooking spray instead of butter in the pan.
Orange Jack-O-Lanterns
- Draw Jack-O-Lantern faces on oranges with a sharpie
- Cut out the pulp.
- Mix some of the pulp with vanilla yogurt, and add some swirls of green Jell-O and raisins.
- Pour the mixture into the oranges.
- Place the oranges in a muffin tin and put them in the freezer.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment