Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Gym Germs

I made my first trip back to the Southwest Rec this past week. I knew that there had been an influx of freshmen, and I would not be able to enjoy the gym at my leisure as I did over the summer when I simply walked on to an open machine. The place was packed. I even went a little later, around 9 p.m., in hopes of avoiding the crowds.

I thought I had lucked out, and I got onto an elliptical right away. However, a small, probably freshman girl came up to me 15 minutes into my work out to inform me that I was on “her” machine. I graciously got off the machine and picked up the filthy towel and spray bottle and “cleaned” the machine. I walked away and found another machine to finish my workout, but I had to wonder, how many germs are at the gym?

So I did a little research on this and found out that fungi and bacteria thrive at the gym because of the hot, sweaty environment. In January 2005, a microbiology professor at NYU investigated several New York City gyms and found a number of disturbing germs, including Staphylococcus, Streptococcus viridans, diphtheroids, and E. coli on dumbbells, candida albicans, a known to cause yeast infections, on exercise bikes, and E.Coli on the shower floors. University of Arizona research also found the flu viruses could survive on equipment for up to 72 hours, making the gym a sick day waiting to happen.

What can you do to about the germs at the gym? Wash your hands often and use the gym wipes. The ones provided by student government are a better bet because they do not hold the germs from the person before you, but UF is fading these gym wipes out because they are expensive. When that happens, do the best you can with the not so clean towels and make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after a workout. Also, try not to touch your eyes, nose or mouth after working out.

Information taken from:
“Germs at the Gym” by Michael D. Shaw
How to Avoid Germs at the Gym

No comments: